Australian Consul-General New York
The Hon Nick Minchin commenced as Australian Consul-General New York in May 2014.
Mr Minchin is a former Federal Cabinet Minister. He was elected to the Australian Senate for South Australia in July 1993 and served until June 2011.
From 1994 to 1996, Mr Minchin was a member of the Opposition Shadow Ministry and then held the position of Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister from 1996–1997. He went on to become the Special Minister of State and Minister Assisting the Prime Minister 1997–1998, and Minister for Industry, Science and Resources 1998–2001. Significantly he was Minister for Finance and Administration from November 2001 until 2007. While in office, he held the posts of Leader of the Government in the Senate, and Vice-President of the Executive Council.
Mr Minchin holds degrees in Law and Economics from the Australian National University in Canberra and was an AFS Scholar at Hawken School in Cleveland, Ohio from 1970-71.
The Australian Consulate-General New York provides consular, passport and notarial services to Australians living in our consular district, which covers New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
The Australian Embassy in Washington and our consular network provides assistance to Australians living in other parts of the United States.
The Australian Consulate-General will be closed on the following holidays in 2016.
- Friday 1 January, New Year's Day
- Monday 15 February, Presidents' Day
- Friday 25 March, Good Friday
- Monday 28 March, Easter Monday
- Monday 30 May, Memorial Day
- Monday 13 June, Queen's Birthday
- Monday 4 July, Independence Day
- Monday 5 September, Labor Day
- Monday 10 October, Columbus Day
- Thursday 24 + Friday 25 November, Thanksgiving Holiday
- Monday 26 December, Boxing Day
- Tuesday 27 December, Christmas Day (in lieu)
- Friday 30 December, additional post holiday
Offices co-located at 150 East 42nd Street